Which version of lucene are you using?  In 1.2, I
believe the lock file was located in the index
directory itself.  In 1.3, it's in your system's tmp
folder.

Perhaps it's a permission problem on either one of
those folders.  Maybe your process doesn't have write
access to the correct folder and is thus unable to
create the lock file?

You can also pass lucene a system property to increase
the lock timeout interval, like so:

-Dorg.apache.lucene.commitLockTimeout=60000

or

-Dorg.apache.lucene.writeLockTimeout=60000

The above sets the timeout to one minute.

Hope this helps,

Jim

--- "Kevin A. Burton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've noticed this really strange problem on one of
> our boxes.  It's
> happened twice already.
>
> We have indexes where when Lucnes starts it says
> 'Lock obtain timed out'
> ... however NO locks exist for the directory.
>
> There are no other processes present and no locks in
> the index dir or /tmp.
>
> Is there anyway to figure out what's going on here?
>
> Looking at the index it seems just fine... But this
> is only a brief
> glance.  I was hoping that if it was corrupt (which
> I don't think it is)
> that lucene would give me a better error than "Lock
> obtain timed out"
>
> Kevin
>
> --
>
> Please reply using PGP.
>
>     http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc
>
>     NewsMonster - http://www.newsmonster.org/
>
> Kevin A. Burton, Location - San Francisco, CA, Cell
> - 415.595.9965
>        AIM/YIM - sfburtonator,  Web -
> http://peerfear.org/
> GPG fingerprint: 5FB2 F3E2 760E 70A8 6174 D393 E84D
> 8D04 99F1 4412
>   IRC - freenode.net #infoanarchy | #p2p-hackers |
> #newsmonster

name=signature.asc