Errr, sorry for the cross-post to lucene-dev as well, but I realized this mail
really belongs on lucene-user...

I've been experiencing intermittent disappearing segments which result in the
following stacktrace:

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\index\_1ae.fnm (The system cannot
find the file specified)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:200)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:321)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.<init>(FSDirectory.java:329)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(FSDirectory.java:268)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.FieldInfos.<init>(FieldInfos.java:78)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.<init>(SegmentReader.java:104)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.<init>(SegmentReader.java:95)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader$1.doBody(IndexReader.java:112)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock$With.run(Lock.java:116)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:103)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:91)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.<init>(IndexSearcher.java:75)

The segment that disappears (_1ae.fnm) varies.

I can't seem to reproduce this error consistently, so don't have a clue what
might cause it, but it usually happens after the application has been running
for some time. Has anyone experienced something similar, or can anyone point me
in the right direction?

When this occurs, I need to rebuild the entire index for it to be usable. Very
troubling indeed...

Kelvin