From: Michael Giles [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 3:13 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Performance profile of optimization...

What is the performance profile of optimizing an index?  By that I mean,
what are the primary variables that negatively impact its speed (i.e. index
size (bytes, docs), number of adds/deletes since last optimization,
etc).  For example, if I add a single document to a small (i.e. < 10K docs)
index and still have that index open (but would otherwise close it until
the next update, a few minutes later), what type of a performance hit would
optimizing the index be?  Does that cost change as the index gets bigger or
is it tied to the number of changes that need to be rolled in?

-Mike