Being a bit of a newbie I had tried putting "-language:zh-HK" by itself,
where it seems it will always return no results unless you combine it with
a positive term. However I then tried this and it does not seem to build
the query I had hoped for:

Query: hsbc
Parsed query: contents:hsbc keywords:hsbc title:hsbc language:hsbc
Hits: 206

Query: hsbc -language:zh-HK
Parsed query: (contents:hsbc -language:zh -contents:hk) (keywords:hsbc -language:zh
-keywords:hk) (title:hsbc -language:zh -title:hk) (language:hsbc
-language:zh -language:HK)
Hits: 169
Not quite what I was expecting from the parsed query - the zh and HK are now separated.

Query: hsbc -language:zh\-HK
Parsed query: (contents:hsbc -language:zh\-HK) (keywords:hsbc -language:zh\-HK)
(title:hsbc -language:zh\-HK) (language:hsbc -language:zh\-HK)
Hits: 206
And I'm guessing here, but I don't think the slash is escaping, does it just become
part of the query??

Erik Hatcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 26 May 2004 15:11

Please respond to "Lucene Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>