Hi Kevin,

thanks for your answer. That could really solve the problem with the
modificationDate or similar fields.

But what if you create queries that ultimately return only a few hits but
contain a RangeQuery that searches for example an ID-Field of some kind,
where you have to cover a wide range of IDs? I think in general, you will
always have fields that contain lots of different terms and searching even a
small range of one of these fields may lead to this Exception.

The bottom line in my opinion is, that you have to take care for yourself,
not to create certain type of queries that could lead to this Exception. The
type of query completely depends on the index which means as the index grows
you have to restrict the ranges of more and more rangequeries.

One way would be, to catch this Exception and gracefully present a message
to the user to further restrict his query. But this could lead to some
confusion, if the user knows that he has entered some very restrictive query
in addition to some RangeQuery that internally leads to this Exception.

What I  really would like to see are some best practices or some advice from
some users who are working with really large indices how they handle this
situation, or why they  don't have to  care about it or maybe why I am
completely missing the point ;-))

Thanks,

Martin