Someone came into my office today and asked me about the project I am
trying to Lucene for -- "why aren't you just using a MySQL full-text
index to do that" -- after thinking about it for a few minutes, I
realized I don't have a great answer.

MySQL builds inverted indexes for (in theory) doing the same type of
lookup that lucene does.  You'd maybe have to build some kind of a layer
on the front to mimic Lucene's analyzers, but that wouldn't be too
hard....

My only experience with MySQLfulltext is trivial test apps -- but the
MySQL world does have some significant advantages (its a known quantity
from an operations perspective, etc).....  Does anyone out there have
anything more concrete they can add?

--tim