I am sensing a common theme throughout a variety of threads here:  Namely, a need for
a pluggable set of Reader's and Writers (think Interface) that can write metadata
about an Index/Document/Field/Term (which I see the TermVector stuff as being a
instance of) and can be given to Lucene from the application level (or at least the
application specifies which ones to use)

I proposed something like this a bit earlier, but didn't see any interest.  I suppose
I should implement it as this is how things get going, but would be nice to have some
input on requirements and whether the people who know Lucene better than I think this
is possible.

Just my two cents on this one.  Doesn't help you w/ an immediate solution, but I think
it would help us all in the long run.  If this existed, one could easily implement a
Token position store and ask it for all of this information, I think.  :-)

-Grant

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/22/04 03:19PM >>>
> I wonder if the information in termPositions or termVector can be used
> to restore token position from indicies?

TermFreqVector gives you term frequencies (not positions). This can be of use in
computing document
similarities.
TermPositions gives you the sequence number . eg in the last sentence the word
"sequence" was
token number 5,  (not character position 5). This is used for PhraseQueries to
determine proximity.

Character position is what is required to do highlighting and this isnt stored
anywhere currently.
The requirements for such a store would be indexed access by doc number, and a compact
means
of storing term/character position info. This could add considerable size to the index.

Previously we concluded that highlighting is only typically done on the first 10 or so
records in a result set
anyway and that re-analyzing the text shouldnt add too much of an overhead. If you
want to limit the size of
an individual document's text to be tokenized use
highlighter.setMaxDocBytesToAnalyze().
If you find tokenizing slow check you arent using StandardAnalyzer - I have found that
to be slow
(see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-dev&m=108080820315779&w=2 )

Cheers
Mark