http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/IndexSearcher.html#close()

What is the intent of IndexSearcher.close()?

I want to know how, in a web app, one can stop a search that's in progress - use case is a user is limited to one search at at time, and when one (expensive) search is running they decide it's taking too long so they elaborate on the query and resubmit it. Goal is for the server to stop the search that's in progress and to start a new one. I know how to deal w/ session vars and so on in a web container - but can one stop a search that's in progress and is that the intent of close()?

I haven't done the obvious experiment but regardless, the javadoc is kinda terse so I wanted to hear from the all knowing people on the list.

thx,
  Dave