From:   Paul Williams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Thu 9/16/2004 5:39 AM
To:     'Lucene Users List'
Subject:        problem with locks when updating the data of a previous stored document
Hi,

Using lucene-1.4.1.jar on WinXP

I am having trouble with locking and updating an existing Lucene document. I
delete the old document from the index and then add the new document to the
index writer. I am using the minMerge docs set to 100 (much quicker!!) and
close the writer once the batch is done, so the documents are flushed to the
filesystem

The problem i am having is I can't delete the old version of the document
(after the first document has been added) using reader.delete because there
is a lock on the index due to the IndexWriter being open.

Am I doing this wrong or is there a simple way round this?

Regards,

Paul

Code snippets of the update code (I have just cut and pasted the relevant
line from my app to get an idea)

    reader = IndexReader.open(location);
    // Delete old doc/term if present
    if (reader.docFreq(docNumberTerm) > 0) {
            reader.delete(docNumberTerm);
    .
    .
    .

    IndexWriter writer = null;

    // get the writer from the hash table so last few are cached and don't
have to be restarted
    synchronized(IndexWriterCache) {

           String dbstring = "" + ldb;
           writer = (IndexWriter)IndexWriterCache.get(dbstring);

           if (writer == null) {
           //Not in cache so create one and add to cache for next time

               writer = new IndexWriter(location, new StandardAnalyzer(),
new_index);

               writer.setUseCompoundFile(true);

               // Set the maximum number of entries per field. Default is
10,000
               writer.maxFieldLength = MaxFieldCount;

               // Set how many docs will be stored in memory before being
saved to disk
               writer.minMergeDocs = (int) DocsInMemory;

               IndexWriterCache.remove(dbstring);
               IndexWriterCache.put(dbstring, writer);
            }
        .
        .
        .

        // Add the docuents to the Lucene index
        writer.addDocument(doc);

        .
        . Some time later after a batch of docs been added

           writer.close();

DISCLAIMER:

privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message
by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or
omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in
error.

Thank you.

Valid Information Systems Limited. Address: Morline House, 160 London Road,
Barking, Essex, IG11 8BB.

http://www.valinf.com Tel: +44 (0) 20 8215 1414 Fax: +44 (0) 20 8215 2040

Please note that as part of our drive to continually improve the service to
our clients, we have established a dedicated support line for customers to
call if they are in need of help with their installation of R/KYV or have a
query regarding the operation of the software. The number is - 0870 0161414
This will ensure any call is carefully noted, any action required is
scheduled for completion and any problem experienced handled by a carefully
chosen team of developers. Please make a note of this number and pass it
on to any other relevant person within your organisation.

Visit Valid who will sharing a stand with partners, Goss Interactive at the

SOCITM Event, 10- 12 October 2004, Edinburgh International Conference Centre (EICC),
Stand 26 & 26P-.
Booking available online: www.socitm.gov.uk