On Sep 15, 2004, at 1:45 PM, Karthik N S wrote:
Hi
  Erik , Doug , Otis

This is general forum - no need to address individuals.

1) Is a there a PHP version of Lucene Implemantation avaliable , If so Where
?

Using the Java version of Lucene from PHP is my recommendation. There is not a PHP version. I'm not familiar with PHP details, but I suspect you can very easily use the Java version somehow.

2) Is the Lucene 'Indexed file format' an Universal type , If so can
it be searched by other Lucene implementations

[ Such as Indexing is done by Java version of Lucene and Search on the
IndexFile format is done by Plucene ]

Yes - http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/fileformats.html - there are caveats as the Lucene ports are all at varying versions of compatibility.