Doug

Thank you for confirming this.

ZJ

Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
John Z wrote:
> We have indexes of around 1 million docs and around 25 searchable fields.
> We noticed that without any searches performed on the indexes, on startup, the
> memory taken up by the searcher is roughly 7 times the .tii file size. The .tii file
> is read into memory as per the code. Our .tii files are around 8-10 MB in size and
> our startup memory foot print is around 60-70 MB.
>
> Then when we start doing our searches, the memory goes up, depending on the fields
> we search on. We are noticing that if we start searching on new fields, the memory
> kind of goes up.
>
> Doug,
>
> Your calculation below on what is taken up by the searcher, does it take into
> account the .tii file being read into memory or am I not making any sense ?
>
> 1 byte * Number of searchable fields in your index * Number of docs in
> your index
> plus
> 1k bytes * number of terms in query
> plus
> 1k bytes * number of phrase terms in query

You make perfect sense. The formula above does not include the .tii.
My mistake: I forgot that. By default, every 128th Term in the index is
read into memory, to permit random access to terms. These are stored in
the .tii file, compressed. So it is not surprising that they require 7x
the size of the .tii file in memory.

Doug