Aad,

note that .../topic/temp is not always correct.  If you use Lucene
outside of Tomcat, the lock files will be stored elsewhere.

If IndexWriter/Readers are properly handled, they will clean up lock
files after themselves.  If something breaks (e.g. IOException because
you are out of disk space or because something kills the process), lock
files will remain and you will need to clean them up yourself.
Checking whether these lock files are current or stale is something
you'll have to do in your application, I'm afraid, possibly using their
time stamps to determine this.

Otis