I think it's possible to make a field encrypted by an symmetric encryption
algorithms just the same as the compressed field and algorithms such like
DES can be used with little performance loss.

If the ability to block reverse engineering is critical, you should use PKI
and would result more and more performance loss than those symmectic
methods.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:33:53 +0200, petite_abeille
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2004, at 15:26, Nader Henein wrote:
>
> > Well, are you "storing" any data for retrieval from the index, because
> > you could encrypt the actual data and then encrypt the search string
> > public key style.
>
> Alternatively, write your index to an encrypted volume... something
> along the line of FileVault and PGP Disk [1] [2].
>
> PA.
>
> [1] http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/filevault/
> [2] http://www.pgp.com/products/desktop/index.html

Cheolgoo, Kang