From: "Chuck Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lucene Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Filtering Results?
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:49:30 -0700

RangeQuery is a good approach.  Put fields on your documents like age.
The only tricky thing is that the comparisons are all done
lexicographically rather that numerically.  Lucene has a built-in
routine to convert dates into a monotonic lexicographic sequence
(DateField.timeToString).  For positive integer data types like age, it
is sufficient to store them as fixed line String's, e.g.:
  5 --> "005"
 18 --> "018"
100 --> "100"

Then just access range queries.  E.g.:
1.  age:[018 TO]
2.  age:[TO 018]
3.  age:[005 TO 018]

Those are <= queries.  Use {} instead of [] for < queries.

Good luck,

Chuck