Kevin I have to agreed, the google desktop could be better.  Last
spring, Greg Moulliet put together a quick little searching
application in Swing using Lucene.

It was more of a proof of concept or prototype than something ready to
be open sourced or even supported.  But for less than a weeks worth of
evenings its pretty good.  He still has it up on his site here:

http://moulliet.com/indexer/DriveIndexer.zip

I have not played around with it since March.  But I recall that it
requires IntelliJ  forms and a bunch of open source libraries to
compile and run.  It indexes both office documents and PDFs.  It may
be a good reference to figure out how to create an open source Google
Desktop Search.

Jonathan Hager