On Oct 4, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Chris Fraschetti wrote:

absoultely, limiting the user's query is no problem here. I've
currently implemented the lucene javascript to catcha lot of user
quries that could cause issues.. blank queries, ? or * at the
beginning of query, etc etc... but I couldn't think of a way to
prevent the user from doing a*  but not   comment*   wanting comments
or commentary...  any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

I recommend subclassing QueryParser, and overriding getPrefixQuery and getWildcardQuery. In both of the overridden methods, throw a ParseException. You should be handling ParseException gracefully somehow already, so that should do the trick.