It depends on a lot of factors.  I myself use multiple indexes for
about 10M documents.
My documents are transient.  Each day I get about 400K and I remove
about 400K.  I
always remove an entire days documents at one time.  It is much
faster/easier to delete
the lucene index for the day that I am removing, then looping through
one big index and
removing the entries with the IndexReader.  Since my data is also
partitioned by day in
my database, I essentially do the same thing there with "truncate table."

I use a ParallelMultiSearcher object to search the indexes.  I store
my indexes on a 14
disk 15k rpm  fibre channel RAID 1+0 array (striped mirrors).

I get very good performance in both updating and searching indexes.