Andy,
  Please take a look at the following thread, this
should help you.

Thanks,
  George

 --- Andy Goodell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Recently, I've been getting a lot of corrupted
> lucene indexes.  They
> appear to return search results normally, but there
> is really no good
> way to test whether information is missing.  The
> main problem is that
> when i try to optimize, i get the following
> Exception:
>
> java.io.IOException: read past EOF
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader$CSInputStream.readInternal(CompoundFileReader.java:218)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.store.InputStream.readBytes(InputStream.java:61)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.norms(SegmentReader.java:356)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.norms(SegmentReader.java:323)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeNorms(SegmentMerger.java:422)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:94)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:487)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:366)