On Saturday 13 November 2004 09:16, Sanyi wrote:
> > - leave the current implementation, raising an exception;
> > - handle the exception and limit the boolean query to the first 1024
> > (or what ever the limit is) terms;
> > - select, between the possible terms, only the first 1024 (or what
> > ever the limit is) more meaningful ones, leaving out all the others.
>
> I like this idea and I would finalize to myself like this:
> I'd also create a default rule for that to avoid handling exceptions for
people who're happy with
> the default behavior:
>
> Keep and search for only the longest 1024 fragments, so it'll throw
a,an,at,and,add,etc.., but
> it'll automatically keep 1024 variations like
alpha,alfa,advanced,automatical,etc..

Wouldn't it be counterintuitive to only use the longest matches
for truncations?
To have only longer matches one can also use queries with
multiple ? characters, each matching exactly one character.

I think it would be better encourage the users to use longer
and maybe also more prefixes. This gives more precise results
and is more efficient to execute.

Regards,
Paul Elschot