MySQL does offer a basic fulltext search (with MyISAM tables), but it
doesn't really approach the functionality of Lucene, such as pluggable
tokenizers, stemming, etc.  I think MS SQL server has fulltext search
as well, but I have no idea if it's any good.

See http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=mysql+fulltext