On Nov 22, 2004, at 4:39 PM, aurora wrote:
Just to clarify. I have a Field 'uid' those value is an unique integer. I use it as a key to the document stored externally. I don't mean Lucene's internal document number.

I was wonder if there is a method to query the highest value of a field, perhaps something like:

IndexReader.maxTerm('uid')

There isn't quite that type of API, though you can skip to a known one and enumerate from there:

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/index/ TermEnum.html#skipTo(org.apache.lucene.index.Term)

IndexReader gives you a TermEnum from either the terms() method or the terms(Term) method.

        Erik

What would the purpose of an auto-generated UID be?

But no, Lucene does not generate UID's for you. Documents are numbered internally by their insertion order. This number changes, however, when documents are deleted in the middle and the index is optimized.

        Erik