My indexes are stored on a NetApp filter via NFS.  The indexer process
updates the indexes over NFS.  I have multiple indexes.  My search
process determines if the nfs indexes have been updated, and if they
have, then loads the index into a RAMDirectory.   RAMDirectory is of
course much faster than searching over NFS.  This way, I can also have
multiple search servers running easily.  The drawback of course is
startup time.  It takes a few minutes to start each search server
because it has to load the data into memory.  RAMDirectory also seems
to be kind of memory inneficient, using a lot more memory than the
data actually consumes on disk.