On Friday 10 December 2004 07:10, Steve Skillcorn wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I'm currently using Lucene (which I am extremely impressed with BTW) to
> index a knowledge base of documents.  One issue I have is that only certain
> documents are available to certain users (or groups).  The number of
> documents is large, into the 100,000s, and the number of uses can be into
> the 1000s.  Obviously, the users permissioned to see certain documents can
> change regularly, so storing the user id's in the Lucene document is
> undesirable, as a permission change could mean a delete and re-add to
> potentially 100s of documents.
>
> Does anyone have any guidance as to how I should approach this?

A typical solution would be to use a Filter for each user group.
Each Filter would be built from categories indexed with the documents.
The moment to build a group Filter could be the first time a user from
a group queries an index after it is opened.
Filters can be cached, see the recent discussion on CachingWrappingFilter
and friends.

Regards,
Paul Elschot