On Dec 22, 2004, at 11:25 PM, Kauler, Leto S wrote:
"java.lang.RuntimeException: no terms in field Title_Sort - cannot
determine sort type"

Title_Sort is a sort-specific field (Store=false, Index=true,
Tokenise=false).  I do not have access to the actual Lucene-calling
code, but I do not believe that the creation of the SortField defines a
type (so just defaults to AUTO).

The issue occurs if the first field it accesses parses as a numeric value and then successive fields are String's. If you are mixing and matching numeric and text information in this Title_Sort field you should specify the type.

We could specify the sort type as String but we do have some Date fields
too. Are dates actually indexed as strings?

You're putting dates into Title_Sort also? The type is specific to a sort field, so you can sort by dates too but you'd use a different field and a different type.

*Everything* in Lucene is indexed as a string. But how a date looks as a string is a topic unto itself. I prefer to use YYYYMMDD as a date formatted as a string (but when sorting, this could be treated as a numeric).

I am wondering why this exception might occur when the server/index is
under load. I do realise there are many 'variables in the equation', so
there probably is not an easy answer to this.

I'm at a loss on this one without further details, thats for sure.