On Jan 5, 2005, at 5:12 AM, Peter Veentjer - Anchor Men wrote:

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Erik Hatcher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Verzonden: woensdag 5 januari 2005 10:58
Aan: Lucene Users List
Onderwerp: Re: searching while indexing.

There are no problems searching while indexing.  How are you
experiencing otherwise?  What error do you get?

I have experienced (lock) problems if I use a Reader and Writer (on the
same index-directory) at the same time. My application is multithreaded
(a pool of worker threads for the webrequests) and a scheduledworker
thread for signaling changes (new (normal) files, changed files and
removed files) and updating the index.

And I`m not the only one experiencing this problem... It ( Reader and
Writer open at the same time) has been mentioned on mailinglist quite a
few times.

Is your IndexReader doing deletes? That is the only time it locks the index (because that is essentially a write operation). If you're purely searching with the reader it should work fine with a writer concurrently.