On Jan 5, 2005, at 6:31 PM, Hetan Shah wrote:
How can one index simple text files with out the .txt extension. I am trying to use the IndexFiles and IndexHTML but not to my satisfaction. In the IndexFiles I do not get any control over the content of the file and in case of IndexHTML the files with out any extension do not get index all together. Any pointers are really appreciated.

Try out the Indexer code from Lucene in Action. You can download it from the link here: http://www.lucenebook.com/blog/announcements/sourcecode.html

It'll be cleaner to follow and borrow from. The code that ships with Lucene is for demonstration purposes. It surprises me how often folks use that code to build real indexes. It's quite straightforward to create your own Java code to do the indexing in whatever manner you like, borrowing from examples.

When you get the download unpacked, simply run "ant Indexer" to see it in action. And then "ant Searcher" to search the index just built.