Joseph Ottinger wrote:
As one for whom the question's come up recently, I'd say that locks need
to be terminated gracefully, instead. I've noticed a number of cases where
the locks get abandoned in exceptional conditions, which is almost exactly
what you don't want.

The problem is that this is hard to do from Java. A typical approach is to put the process id in the lock file, then, if that process is dead, ignore the lock file. But Java does not let one know process ids. Java 1.4 provides a LockFile mechanism which should mostly solve this, but Lucene 1.4.3 does not yet require Java 1.4 and hence cannot use that feature. Lucene 2.0 is likely to require Java 1.4 and should be able to do a better job of automatically unlocking indexes when processes die.

Doug