I didn't get any response to this post so I wanted to follow up (you can
read the full description of my problem in the archives:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msgNo=11986).

Here's an additional piece of information:

I wrote a small program to confirm that on Windows, you can't rename a
file while another thread has it open.

If I am performing a search, is it possible that the IndexReader is
holding open the "segments" file when there is an attempt by my indexing
code to overwrite it with File.renameTo()?

Thanks,
Luke Francl