Hmmm... out of curiosity... any reason not to use the Berkeley DB Java
Edition instead of the Java API to C Berkeley DB?

http://www.sleepycat.com/products/je.shtml

Well, normally, if you're in a 100% Java situation, you could use the Berkeley DB Java edition instead. I'm not. I'm using the same code with Chandler, a python program, and PyLucene (http://pylucene.osafoundation.org). Chandler and PyLucene share the same database environment and this can only be done if the C edition of Berkeley DB is the underlying db implementation.

There are three Java APIs for Berkeley DB available now:
   - Java API for C Berkeley DB 4.2.x
   - Java API for C Berkeley DB 4.3.x
   - Berkeley DB 100% Java Edition

These APIs are different from each other although 4.3.x and 100% Java are
close. Many months ago, somebody contacted me about rewriting DbDirectory for
the Java Edition of Berkeley DB, but I haven't heard from him in a long long
while.

Andi..