From: Doug Cutting [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 11:32 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: ParallellMultiSearcher Vs. One big Index

Ryan Aslett wrote:
> What I found was that for queries with one term (First Name), the
large
> index beat the multiple indexes hands down (280 Queries/per second vs
> 170 Q/s).
> But for queries with multiple terms (Address), the multiple indexes
beat
> out the Large index. (26 Q/s vs 16 Q/s)
> Btw, Im running these on a 2 proc box with 16GB of ram.
>
> So what Im trying to determine Is if there is some equations out there
> that can help me find the sweet spot for splitting my indexes.

What appears to be the bottleneck, CPU or i/o?  Is your test system
multi-threaded?  I.e., is it attempting to execute many queries in
parallel?  If you're CPU-bound then a single index should be fastest.
Are you using compound format?  If you're i/o-bound, the non-compound
format may be somewhat faster, as it permits more parallel i/o.  Is the
index data on multiple drives?  If you're i/o bound then it should be
faster to use multiple drives.  To permit even more parallel i/o over
multiple drives you might consider using a pool of IndexReaders.  That
way, with, e.g., striped data, each could be simultaneously reading
different portions of the same file.

Doug