It would be interesting to know _what_exactly_ uses your memory.
Running under an optimizer should tell you that.

The only thing that comes to mind is... can't remember the details now,
but when the index is opened, I believe every 128th term is read into
memory.  This, I believe, helps with index seeks at search time.  I
wonder if this is what's using your memory.  The number '128' can't be
modified just like that, but somebody (Julien?) has modified the code
in the past to make this variable.  That's the only thing I can think
of right now and it may or may not be an idea in the right direction.

Otis