On Feb 10, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Paul Jans wrote:
A couple of newbie questions. I've searched the
archives and read the Javadoc but I'm still having
trouble figuring these out.

Don't forget to get your copy of "Lucene in Action" too :)

1. What's the best way to index and handle queries
like the following:

Find me all users with (a CS degree and a GPA > 3.0)
or (a Math degree and a GPA > 3.5).

Some suggestions: index degree as a Keyword field. Pad GPA, so that all of them are the form #.# (or #.## maybe). Numerics need to be lexicographically ordered, and thus padded.

With the right analyzer (see the AnalysisParalysis page on the wiki) you could use this type of query with QueryParser:'

        degree:cs AND gpa:[3.0 TO 9.9]

2. What are the best practices for using Lucene in a
clustered J2EE environment? A standalone index/search
server or storing the index in the database or
something else ?

There is a LuceneRAR project that is still in its infancy here: https://lucenerar.dev.java.net/

You can also store a Lucene index in Berkeley DB (look at the /contrib/db area of the source code repository)

However, most projects do fine with "cruder" techniques such as sharing the Lucene index on a common drive and ensuring that locking is configured to use the common drive also.