On Feb 14, 2005, at 12:40 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
I was trying to write some documentation on how to use the tool and issued a search for:

contact:DENNIS MORROW

Is that literally the QueryParser string you entered? If so, that parses to:

        contact:DENNIS OR defaultField:MORROW

most likely.

And now I get 648 hits, but in some of them the contact doesn't even remotely resemble the search pattern. For instance here are the what the contact fields contain for some of these hits:
Contact: GENERIC CONTACT
Contact: Andre Gardinalli
Contact: Brett Morrow (that's especially interesting)
Contact: KEN PATTERSON

And of course there are some with Dennis' name too.

Any idea why this is happening? I'm using the QueryParser.parse method.

I'm not sure you'll be able to do this with QueryParser with spaces in an untokenized field. First try it with an API created WildcardQuery to be sure it works the way you expect.