Noone has mentioned JVM options yet.

[a] -server
[b] -XX:CompileThreshold=1000
[c] Raise the -Xms value if you haven't done so (-Xms...)

I think by default the VM runs with "-client" but -server makes more sense for web containers (Tomcat etc).
[b] tells the hotspot compiler to compile methods sooner - you can lower the 1000 to, say, '2' makes it compile methods after they've executed 2 times - I had trouble once lowering this to 1 for some reason

Also, even though you're not supposed to need to do this, I've found it helpful to force gc() periodically e.g. every minute via this idiom:

public static long gc()
{
        long bef = mem();
        System.gc();
        sleep( 100);
        System.runFinalization();
        sleep( 100);
        System.gc();
        long aft= mem();
        return aft-bef;
}

Michael Celona wrote:

What is single handedly the best way to improve search performance? I have
an index in the 2G range stored on the local file system of the searcher.
Under a load test of 5 simultaneous users my average search time is ~4700
ms. Under a load test of 10 simultaneous users my average search time is
~10000 ms. I have given the JVM 2G of memory and am a using a dual 3GHz
Zeons. Any ideas?

Michael