The most obvious answer is that the full-text indexing features of
RDBMS's are not as good (as fast) as Lucene.  MySQL, PostgreSQL,
Oracle, MS SQL Server etc. all have full-text indexing/searching
features, but I always hear people complaining about the speed.  A
person from a well-known online bookseller told me recently that Lucene
was about 10x faster that MySQL for full-text searching, and I am
currently helping someone get away from MySQL and into Lucene for
performance reasons.

Otis