Lucene Users,

We have a requirement for a new version of our software that it run in a
clustered environment. Any node should be able to go down but the
application must keep functioning.

Currently, we use Lucene on a single node but this won't meet our fail
over requirements. If we can't find a solution, we'll have to stop using
Lucene and switch to something else, like full text indexing inside the
database.

So I'm looking for best practices on distributing Lucene indexing and
searching. I'd like to hear from those of you using Lucene in a
multi-process environment what is working for you. I've done some
research, and based on on what I've seen so far, here's a bit of
brainstorming on what seems to be possible:

1. Don't. Have a single indexing and searching node. [Note: this is the
last resort.]

2. Don't distribute indexing. Searching is distributed by storing the
index on NFS. A single indexing node would process all requests.
However, using Lucene on NFS is *not* recommended. See:
http://lucenebook.com/search?query=nfs ...it can result in "stale NFS
file handle" problem:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg12481.html
So we'd have to investigate this option. Indexing could use an JMS queue
so if the box goes down, when it comes back up, indexing could resume
where it left off.

3. Distribute indexing and searching into separate indexes for each
node. Combine results using ParallelMultiSearcher. If a box went down, a
piece of the index would be unavailable. Also, there would be serious
issues making sure assets are indexed in the right place to prevent
duplicates, stale results, or deleted assets from showing up in the
index. Another possibility would be a hashing scheme for
indexing...assets could be put into buckets based on their
IDs to prevent duplication. Keeping results consistent as you're
changing the number of the buckets as the nodes come up and down would
be a challenge though

4. Distribute indexing and searching, but index everything at each node.
Each node would have a complete copy of the index. Indexing would be
slower. We could move to a 5 or 15 minute batch approach.

5. Index centrally and push updated indexes to search nodes on a
periodic basis. This would be easy and might avoid the problems with
using NFS.

6. Index locally and synchronize changes periodically. This is an
interesting idea and bears looking into. Lucene can combine multiple
indexes into a single one, which can be written out somewhere else, and
then distributed back to the search nodes to replace their existing

7. Create a JDBCDirectory implementation and let the database handle the
clustering. A JDBCDirectory exists
(http://ppinew.mnis.com/jdbcdirectory/), but has only been tested with
MySQL. It would probably require modification (the code is under the
LGPL). At one time, an OracleDirectory implementation existed but that
was in 2000 and so it is surely badly outdated. But in principle, the
concept is possible. However, these database-based directories are
slower at indexing and searching than the traditional style, probably
mostly due to BLOB handling.

8. Can the Berkely DB-based DBDirectory help us? I am not sure what
advantages it would bring over the traditional FSDirectory, but maybe
someone else has some ideas.

Please let me know if you've got any other ideas or a best practice to
follow.

Thanks,
Luke Francl