Hello!

Similar as in some app whose locking would conflict with samba locks in a way
to protect
updates by samba from updates from those apps at the same time should they
happen
in the same moment of time.
Now that I think about it, I remember that samba does not really use flock, but
rather some oplocks which have different posix lock op codes that lustre
does not implement, so mounting with localflock is the only way to get that
functionality, but it is important to remember that it won't be cluster-coherent
(so would only be visible locally to that samba-exporting node).
Typically cluster-coherence would only be important when you have more than one
samba-exporting node, though.

Bye,
    Oleg