This sounds the same as an issue I’ve had in the past.  This ticket should

From: lustre-discuss <> on behalf of
"DeWitt, Chad" <>
Date: Monday, October 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM
To: "" <>
Subject: [lustre-discuss] Lustre Orphaned Chunks

Hi All.

I am still learning Lustre and I have run into an issue.  I have referred to
both the Lustre admin manual and Google, but I've had no luck in finding the
answer.  We are using Lustre 2.8.0.

We had an OST fill due to a single large file.  I took the OST offline via the
lctl deactivate command to prevent new files from being created on the OST.
While the OST was deactivated, the user deleted the file.  Now it appears the
metadata is gone from the MDS (which makes sense), but the data chunks on the
OST remain even after I reactivated the OST.

I believe that running lfsck would resolve this issue, but I am not sure if I
should run it on the MDS or the OST?  If this is the fix, what options would I
need to use?

Thank you in advance,

Chad DeWitt, CISSP | HPC Storage Administrator

UNC Charlotte | ITS – University Research Computing

lustre-discuss mailing list