If you *really* want a block device on a client that resides in Lustre you
*could* create a file in Lustre and then make that file a loopback device
with losetup. Of course, your mileage will vary *a lot* based on use case,
access, underlying LFS configuration.

dd if=/dev/zero
of=/my_lustre_mountpoint/some_subdir/big_raw_file bs=1048576 count=100000
losetup -f /my_lustre_mountpoint/some_subdir/big_raw_file
*assuming loop0 is created*
some_fun_command /dev/loop0

Disclaimer: Just because you *can* do this, doesn't necessarily mean it is
a good idea

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 3:29 PM Mohr, Rick via lustre-discuss <
lustre-discuss@lists.lustre.org> wrote:

> Are you asking if you can mount Lustre on a client so that it shows up as
> a block device?  If so, the answer to that is you can't.  Lustre does not
> appear as a block device to the clients.
>
> -Rick
>

> On 3/16/23, 3:44 PM, "lustre-discuss on behalf of Shambhu Raje via
> lustre-discuss" <lustre-discuss-boun...@lists.lustre.org <mailto:
> lustre-discuss-boun...@lists.lustre.org> on behalf of
> lustre-discuss@lists.lustre.org <mailto:lustre-discuss@lists.lustre.org>>
> wrote:
>

> When we mount a lustre file system on client, the lustre file system does
> not use block device on client side. Instead it uses virtual file system
> namespace. Mounting point will not be shown when we do 'lsblk'. As it only
> show on 'df-hT'.
>

> How can we mount lustre file system on block such that when we write
> something with lusterfs then it can be shown in block device??
> Can share command??

Jeff Johnson
Co-Founder
Aeon Computing

jeff.john...@aeoncomputing.com
www.aeoncomputing.com
t: 858-412-3810 x1001   f: 858-412-3845
m: 619-204-9061

4170 Morena Boulevard, Suite C - San Diego, CA 92117

High-Performance Computing / Lustre Filesystems / Scale-out Storage