Just a thought, instead of embedding the jobname itself, perhaps just a
least significant 7 character sha-1 hash of the jobname. Small chance of
collision, easy to decode/cross reference to jobid when needed. Just a
thought.

--Jeff

On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 3:08 PM Andreas Dilger via lustre-discuss <
lustre-discuss@lists.lustre.org> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
> thanks for working on this functionality and raising this question.
>
> As you know, I'm inclined toward the user.job xattr, but I think it is
> never a good idea to unilaterally make policy decisions in the kernel that
> cannot be changed.
>
> As such, it probably makes sense to have a tunable parameter like "
> mdt.*.job_xattr=user.job" and then this could be changed in the future if
> there is some conflict (e.g. some site already uses the "user.job" xattr
> for some other purpose).
>
> I don't think the job_xattr should allow totally arbitrary values (e.g.
> overwriting trusted.lov or trusted.lma or security.* would be bad). One
> option is to only allow a limited selection of valid xattr namespaces, and
> possibly names:
>
>    - NONE to turn this feature off
>    - user, or trusted or system (if admin wants to restrict the ability
>    of regular users to change this value?), with ".job" added
>    automatically
>    - user.* (or trusted.* or system.*) to also allow specifying the xattr
>    name
>
> If we allow the xattr name portion to be specified (which I'm not sure
> about, but putting it out for completeness), it should have some reasonable
> limits:
>
>    - <= 7 characters long to avoid wasting valuable xattr space in the
>    inode
>    - should not conflict with other known xattrs, which is tricky if we
>    allow the name to be arbitrary. Possibly if in trusted (and system?)
>    it should only allow trusted.job to avoid future conflicts?
>    - maybe restrict it to contain "job" (or maybe "pbs", "slurm", ...) to
>    reduce the chance of namespace clashes in user or system? However, I'm
>    reluctant to restrict names in user since this *shouldn't* have any
>    fatal side effects (e.g. data corruption like in trusted or system),
>    and the admin is supposed to know what they are doing...
>

> On May 4, 2023, at 15:53, Bertschinger, Thomas Andrew Hjorth via
> lustre-discuss <lustre-discuss@lists.lustre.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Lustre Users,
>
> There has been interest in a proposed feature
> https://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-13031 to store the jobid with each
> Lustre file at create time, in an extended attribute. An open question is
> which xattr namespace is to use between "user", the Lustre-specific
> namespace "lustre", "trusted", or even perhaps "system".
>
> The correct namespace likely depends on how this xattr will be used. For
> example, will interoperability with other filesystems be important?
> Different namespaces have their own limitations so the correct choice
> depends on the use cases.
>
> I'm looking for feedback on applications for this feature. If you have
> thoughts on how you could use this, please feel free to share them so that
> we design it in a way that meets your needs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom Bertschinger
> [...]

Jeff Johnson
Co-Founder
Aeon Computing

jeff.john...@aeoncomputing.com
www.aeoncomputing.com
t: 858-412-3810 x1001   f: 858-412-3845
m: 619-204-9061

4170 Morena Boulevard, Suite C - San Diego, CA 92117

High-Performance Computing / Lustre Filesystems / Scale-out Storage