Skydiving with an anvil is *possible* ...but not advisable.

--Jeff

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 10:21 AM Andreas Dilger via lustre-discuss <
lustre-discuss@lists.lustre.org> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2023, at 20:58, Fedele Stabile <fedele.stab...@fis.unical.it>
> wrote:
>

> Hello everyone,
> We are in progress to integrate Lustre on our little HPC Cluster and we
> would like to know if it is possible to use the same node in a cluster to
> act as an OSS with disks and to also use it as a Compute Node and then
> install a Lustre Client.
> I know that the OSS server require a modified kernel so I suppose it can
> be installed in a virtual machine using kvm on a compute node.
>

> There isn't really a problem with running a client + OSS on the same node
> anymore, nor is there a problem with an OSS running inside a VM (if you
> have SR-IOV and enough CPU+RAM to run the server).
>
> *HOWEVER*, I don't think it would be good to have the client mounted on
> the *VM host*, and then run the OSS on a *VM guest*.  That could lead to
> deadlocks and priority inversion if the client becomes busy, but depends on
> the local OSS to flush dirty data from RAM and the OSS cannot run in the VM
> because it doesn't have any RAM...
>
> If the client and OSS are BOTH run in VMs, or neither run in VMs, or only
> the client run in a VM, then that should be OK, but may have reduced
> performance due to the server contending with the client application.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger
> Lustre Principal Architect
> Whamcloud

Jeff Johnson
Co-Founder
Aeon Computing

jeff.john...@aeoncomputing.com
www.aeoncomputing.com
t: 858-412-3810 x1001   f: 858-412-3845
m: 619-204-9061

4170 Morena Boulevard, Suite C - San Diego, CA 92117

High-Performance Computing / Lustre Filesystems / Scale-out Storage