At 06:14 AM 9/29/03, Daniel F Heiman wrote:
>http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/v/vivarini/alvise/ambrose.html (signed 1503)

View this picture alongside:
http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/m/montagna/madonna.html (signed 1498) A
*little* better detail can be seen on the Amoursx3 CD cover by K-E
Schroeder and C Young though it leaves out the vielle player.

The head and body positions are nearly identical as well as much else. Some
have said the angel on the right of the Montagna painting is playing w/ a
plectrum. There the hand position is different as well. Are there other
lute-playing details we can gather from a comparison of these two paintings?

Sean Smith

ps, In a previous post I don't think I made myself clear. Simply, are lute
(or keyboard?) tablatures the first examples of barlines in written music?