Stephan Olbertz wrote:
> To clarify a bit: the book I mentioned got quite good
> reviews and I just wondered if it is really the bible
> of Elizabethan English. My continental and maybe wrong
> impression has been that a word Shakespeare didn't
> write didn't exist.

Erm, Spenser's English is quite different from Shakespeare's English :)
I am sure that Spenser used words you won't find in Shakespeare's plays.

Other examples that come to mind are Nashe, Greene, ... and - of course -
Sidney. Ooops, I forgot Lyly.

It is a common misbelief that Elizabethan (including early Jacobean) literature
is Shakespeare and nothing else.
By far the most popular play on the Elizabethan stage was Kid's Spanish Tragedy.

A book about the pronunciation of "Shakespeare's English" most probably refers
to the English of Shakespeare's time....

Rainer

PS

Rhymes like move/love sound quite strange today :)