>> Have any of you baroque lute players experimented with holding your
>> instrument with the aid of a solid table as opposed to the traditional
>> crossed leg method, left foot stool method, or strap method?
>
> several strap ways, btw. I prefer a strap over my back and left shoulder,
> only.
> That way, I can sit upright and breathe freely.
A curious if dangerous thing:
I generally play standing up, with a strap originally  made for electric
guitars. It is 3" wide, leather. I noticed soon after putting it on that if
I hold my ear against the strap while playing or tuning it actually
transmits a sound so loud it can be deafening even from a very light pluck.
I wonder if this type of personal amplification (this is absolutely
inaudible to anyone but myself) was ever used while tuning in a noisy room
or during some chamber music.
Any ideas?
RT