Dear Herbert,

Metronomes are extremely useful, and can be used in various ways to
improve one's playing in time. If you always practise a piece at the
same speed, the chances are it will fall apart when you are away
from home, when you might be slightly nervous playing to others. I
think it is to do with learning speeds in relation to one's
heartbeat. One's heart tends to beat slightly quicker when
performing than it does when practising (unstressed) at home. That's
why it is tempting to play too fast or to speed up when performing.

I think it is extremely useful to practise with a metronome at
different speeds. Start as slow as possible, then build up speed a
couple of notches at a time until the piece (or part of a piece) is
ridiculously too fast, and then slow down, again a couple of notches
at a time back to where you started. (It's easy to play faster and
faster as the metronome is gradually notched up, but funny thing
start to happen as you slow down. It's when youi try to play at a
slower speed than usual that things start to fall apart.) In this
way you get to play whatever music it is many times over without
getting bored, and you gain complete mastery over it. You learn to
play the piece at any speed. The metronome helps you gain control.

Once you have done lots of work on a piece (or part of a piece) with
the metronome, you can ditch it, and play "with expression", i.e.
allowing the music to breath, particulartly at the end of phrases or
sections. The trouble with so many lutenists (and guitarists, and
others whose instrument is self-sufficent) is that their rhythm is
sloppy. Playing in time is ditched for the erroneous desire to "play
expressively". Forget expression. Get the piece safe and solid with
the metronome first, and then go for the expressive thing without
the metronome later, when you know you can play it in time.

I think your teacher is probably wrong. Metronomes (and tuning
boxes) may appear to do the work for you and create dependence, but
I think the opposite is the case. Used wisely such devices are
useful tools. They provide a check on what we do, and so can help us
learn.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.