> Poor countries and access to resources: It is a difficult matter indeed.
> What to do about it? I'm in the other end of the spectrum, the one
> "benefited" from the free online resources or the donations. And the one
> doing most illegal actions.
>
> I'll tell you what happens down here (Argentina): we freely exchange
> sheet music in any form, especially by photocopies, but also--and by
> those of us who are lucky enough to have a computer--by pdf files, by
> sharing links to web sites we found with sheet music, etc. That's the
> only way we're able to access material to produce guitarists, lutenists,
> and musicians in general. Some of us fortunate to have money to make
> copies or connect to the Internet: many students don't, and we have to
> "donate" photocopies for them, they're that poor. Fortunately, they
> don't have to pay for lessons, the Conservatory is free and paid by the
> government. But sometimes, at the beginning of the year, you can find
> students (9 or 10 year old) who go to the small kitchen in the
> Conservatory, hoping to get some food, food they don't get at home. Yes,
> it's that bad.
>
> BUT, some of us would be able to afford to buy a few items a year. We
> don't do it, because we're caught in this photocopying frenzy. And
> that's why you won't see any new editions coming from Argentina: we made
> publishers die, publishers like Ricordi Americana, who once had a
> incredible catalog of works. Composers in Argentina know this situation
> well, and give away copies of their works to anyone who shows interest
> in them without thinking it twice. And publish their works in foreign
> countries.
Somehow I don't believe that the musicians are to blame for this. It seemed
that A LOT of music down there was being put out by Warner Brothers "South
American division. So I'm sure they contributed to the demise of local
houses.

> About donations: I'm thankful to persons who are willing to donate
> items. But I don't think we would be receiving the amounts we need. And
> I'm sure anything you donate would be copied a thousand times, so keep
> it in mind, it would surely end up as more illegal copies in the world,
> not less. Of course, I'm speaking about musicians in general and
> guitarists in particular. There are no lutenists around here.
There should be half a dozen around metropolitan Buenos Aires, right? And at
least one in M
Roman M. Turovsky
http://turovsky.org
http://polyhymnion.org