>> Barring obvious cases of tyranny, law should
>> reflect the social norms of a society.
Since when tyranny does not reflect the social norms of a society???
There is a maxim: "Every people deserves its government".

>> If you feel they do not, strive to
>> change them through proper channels in favor of breaking them.  I don't
>> believe allowing the production and sale of lute tablatures is quite
>> enough to justify a label of tyranny.
Production is not questioned here, but rather an attempt to monopolize PD
material by repackaging it.
IT IS VERY SIMPLE: In order to publish a classic novel one has no obligation
or necessity to pay a single penny to the library or an individual that
holds the manuscript. PERIOD.
Lute tabulatures are no different.
RT