Dear Leonard,

Funny you should mention Jiggy-Joggy, because I played it yesterday
evening in a short informal recital for some friends - appropriately
from the Italian class I attend.

There was an article about this piece, "Notes and Information:
Jiggy-Joggy" by David Scott in _The Lute Society Journal_ 19 (1977),
p.54:

"... John Florio's definition of _dibatticare_ in his 1611 revision,
as _Queen Anna's New World of Words_, of his Italian-English
dictionary, _A Worlde of Words_ (London, 1598) (there is no
equivalent entry in the earlier version): _Dibatticare_, to thrum a
wench lustily till the bed cry giggajoggie ..."

I have consulted John Florio's dictionary, and can confirm that
David Scott is absolutely right. When I perform this piece, I
usually introduce it with the information above. I also usually add
that the strange thing about the music is that the rhythm (a gentle
6/8) is not quite what you might have expected in view of Florio's
definition.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.