Dear Tom,

Here's a simple example. (You will need a monospaced font like
Courier to get the vertical alignment correct.) The inner part has a
bit of syncopation:

  |\ |\    |\   |
  |\ |     |\   |
  |  |     |    |
_______________________
______________|_____||_
__c__d_____c__|_d___||_
______________|_____||_
______________|_____||_
______________|_____||_

It has crotchet, minim, crotchet in the first bar.

Now, if the highest part has a semibreve, and the lowest part has a
couple of minims, all three parts will have different rhythms. That
would look quite complicated in staff notation, but in tablature
everything fuses together to make a bar of four crotchets.

  |\            |
  |\            |
  |             |
_______________________
__a___________|_c___||_

Of course, the lutenist has to be careful to hold notes for their
full length, but he will use his common sense, and the open strings
will help notes ring on. Four crotchets is easier to count than the
syncopation of that inner part.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.