Dear Göran, Antonio, et al,

Somehow I don't think "Valencian" would catch on, in spite of its
excellent credentials. Milan's system is widely used today, of
course, for many different kinds of music. I would be interested to
know when it was first used in more recent times. I have a
collection of Spanish flamenco music for guitar: Ivor Mairants,
_Flamenco Guitar_ (London: Latin-American Music Publishing Co.,
1958). The music is presented in staff notation parallel with Milan
tablature. Surely there must be earlier examples. Ivor Mairants
calls his tablature "Cifra", suggesting that the system was already
firmly established in Spain. If so, there may yet be a good case for
calling it Spanish tablature.

One book not yet mentioned in the present discussion is
Barberiis'_Libro Decimo_ (Venice, 1549), which contains four short
pieces for 4-course guitar in Milan tablature. Since these pieces
are not as well known as Milan's vihuela pieces, I reproduce the
first few bars of the first one. Remember the monospaced font (e.g.
Courier).

 |\ |\  |\                |\        |
 |  |\  |                 |\        |
 |. |   |                 |         |
=3==2=|=0=3=|=2=0=|===2=|=5=======|=2=|=
=0==.=|===.=|=3===|=====|=2=======|=3=|=

Presumably the first note of bar 4 should be a line higher. The four
crotchets in bar 5 look as if they should be minims. the original
note values were notated as minims and crotchets, not rhythm flags,
as here.

My preference is still to call this notation Spanish tablature, but
I have an open mind, and would like to know more.

Best wishes,

Stewart.